PLan to safety


Decide how you will respond to future abusive or violent incidents

When you have a disagreement with the abuser, move to a place that is lowest risk for getting hurt. Decide where that place is ahead of time (at home, work, etc.)

Develop a plan on how to get to safety:

  • Where to go (family member, friend or co-worker’s home, shelter, etc.)
  • Who to call (learn or have their written phone number on you, AND programmed on your cell phone)
  • Make up a “code word” for your family, co-workers, or friends so they know when to call for help on your behalf. Let them know code word ahead of time.
  • Take photos or make copies of your essential documents, i.e.: birth certificates, picture ID, driver’s license, passports, and utility bills (to show residency), prescription information, important and emergency phone numbers
  • Take photos or make copies of children’s essential documents, ie: birth certificates, immunization records, prescription information, school phone numbers
  • Take photos or make copies of abuser’s driver’s license, car registration and workplace address (often needed to get or register an order of protection) and financial data (credit cards, bank accounts, insurance policies). Take information about any firearms he has.
  • If possible, store original copy of your essential documents (and children’s if applicable) with a trusted person not living in your home.
  • If possible, store some emergency things (prescription drugs, clothing, funds, & items mentioned on D, E & F above) with a trusted person not living in your home.  

Share your situation with trusted family, co-worker, boss, counselor or friend. Who do you feel safe telling?

You have the right to not receive harassing phone calls, texts or emails. You can ask friends, family members or co-workers to help you screen your contacts. Plan Ahead by asking yourself:

If problems occur while I am at work, I can _____________________.

If problems occur while I am walking or driving home, I can _____________________.

If problems occur while I am with my children, who do I trust to pick them up, babysit or stay with them overnight?

Contact Information you should have on you or programmed on your phone:

  • Police Department: ____________________
  • Domestic Violence Program: ____________________
  • Sexual Assault Program: ____________________
  • Attorney: ____________________
  • Counselor: ____________________
  • Spiritual Support/Clergy: ____________________
  • Probation Officer: ____________________
  • Other: ____________________

Gather information on resources offered by different organizations and programs and evaluate which best fit your needs.

When calling or meeting with resource agencies.

  • Have essential documents on hand, ie: birth certificates, picture ID, driver´s license, passaport, and utility bills (to show residency).
  • Make calls from places or at times that you can engage in a conversation withou excessive interruptions.
  • Be patient and speak clearly. Give sprecific information about what you need (example: “I need a safe place to stay with my children, and I am a victim of domestic violence.”)
  • Answer any questions the provider asks that will qualify you for the services.

If you are not comfortable with th person you are working with at a resource agency, ask for another advocate, or try contacting another domestic violence program

Attend a victim's/survivor´s support group, call seeds of life foundation at 788-641-7400 to get connected.